Maple Dijon Salad
photo by sharflan
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 1⁄4 cups romaine lettuce, torn
- 1 1⁄4 cups Baby Spinach, torn
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, matchstick cut
- 1⁄2 small red onion, cut into rings
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup apple, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup mandarin orange pieces
- 1⁄3 cup pecans (whole or chopped)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- cooked chicken (optional)
- Be sure to wash the fruits and vegetables and dry on paper towels before cutting.
- In a large bowl, mix your salad greens.
- Sprinkle the carrot, red onion, apple and mandarin orange pieces over the top (they can be mixed in if desired).
- Sprinkle your salad with the pecans and sesame seeds.
- For the dressing, in a shaker bottle, add the maple syrup, Dijon mustard, brown sugar and Balsamic Vinegar.
- Shake well.
- Pour desired amount over your salad.
- * Top with chicken pieces if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was pretty good! There's only 2 of us, so I halved the recipe for the dressing but I probably should have fourthed it. We had about 1/2 cup left over. The dijon makes it a little spicy almost...but good. I didn't have red onions, so I used green onions, but I think I wouldn't do that again...the flavor of the onions didn't mix well with the dressing in my opinion.
We added the chicken pieces but this salad would be great without it too. Loved the spinach along with the iceburg and romaine lettuce, mandarin oranges are my very favorite, the vegetables went well with the fruit and the addition of the pecans and sesame seeds. The salad dressing was perfect! A very good salad that we will definitely be making again. Thank you Chef and good luck.
This was soo good. We really enjoyed this tasty salad. It was excellant, sweet, had great flavor, lovely contrast in taste and texture and the dressing was amazing. We especially loved the addition of the toasted sesame seeds. I didn't add the chicken, as we had this as a side dish, it worked perfectly. The use of contest ingredients was excellant good luck in the contest.
The dressing alone should win this contest. Loved it. The salad was very good too and the added fruit combination was right on for us. Loved this salad. Left off the chicken since I was serving it as a side dish to another RSC recipe. This could easily be a meal in itself with the added chicken. Good luck. You have my 5 star.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Born and raised in Vermont, I now reside on the western border of Toronto, Ontario. It's beautiful here! With 5 children grown and gone, I have lots of time in my kitchen - just my husband & I to feed!! It keeps the neighbors happy as I'm constantly knocking at door's with a plate of goodies in hand! Previously a teacher of theraputic crafting & a chocolatier (Sweet Impressions in NB doing molds, carvings & individual chocolates), I am now designing needlework and loving it! I have a large cupboard of cookbooks, downsized when I moved into this condo (I did have an actual CLOSET of cookbooks!) I think nothing of curling up with a good cookbook read! My children enjoy the same and have large and varied collections of their own. <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC10-NoPhoto-Participant.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-Participant.jpg"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/food%20and%20swaps/cws3.png" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">