photo by pattiw5
- Ready In:
- Mix together dry ingredients except sugar.
- Cut in butter and add sugar.
- Beat together egg, milk and water and add to dry mixture.
- Knead dough to soft.
- roll out and cut into any shape that lights your candle.
- Deep fry in oil until golden brown on all sides.
- Drain and serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Hmmm this brings back memories growing up in Kenya... Kids can have great fun with you rolling out the dough and cutting it out. You could substitute cinnamon or nutmeg for the allspice if you wish. I would also add a couple more spoons of sugar and a tiny pinch of salt. Everywhere you go in Kenya and the rest of East Africa, you will find mandazi of all sizes in homes, cafes, roadside kiosks- its a great snack to munch to have with some chai. Thanks for the recipe, I doubled it and made lots so I can have enough for the week.