Cracker Barrel Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe is posted in response to a request. I found it through a Google search. I've never tried the recipe, nor CB's mac and cheese, but it sounds like it would be really good! Note: times are approximate.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded colby cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat; add the flour a little bit at a time whilst whisking to make a roux.
- Heat the broth.
- Next, add the broth to the roux, and stir with the whisk; this will thicken as it heats.
- Add a little cream, watching for the desired consistency.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a separate pot; add salt and pasta.
- In the other pot, add shredded cheese a 1/4 of a cup at a time whilst stirring with a spoon. When you have about one cup of cheese in you can add the rest of the cheese.
- Cook the pasta until al dente; strain and combine with the cheese sauce.
- Pour the mix into a casserole and bake uncovered in a preheated oven set to 350°F for about 10 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the mac & cheese, you want it to brown around the edges and in patches on top.
- Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Excellent roux recipe by adding the broth. I did not have so I used a boullion cube and a cup of water. I aslo did not havecolby cheese. So I used extra sharp 6 oz, 1/2 parmesan cheese and 2 slices of american. Added pepper to roux. This is a great base for hiomemade mac & cheese. Thanks Mel T2Reply
see 10 more