Lemon and Onion Marinated Beef
- Ready In:
- 1 lb beef roast (the type of cut is not important)
- 1 medium onion (again, the type is not important)
- 1 -2 cup lemon juice (bottled is just fine)
- Preparation: Cut beef into 1 inch cubes. Grate onion inside gallon size zip-lock bag to save onion juice. Place beef chunks into bag with grated onion, pour lemon juice over beef. Seal bag and mix together to ensure even coverage. Place bag inside a large bowl and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days (the longer the better, in my opinion).
- Cooking: drain juice from beef and onion and thread beef chunks onto metal or water soaked bamboo skewers. Place under broiler (with oven rack on the second from the top brackets) for 10-20 minutes or until edges are dark brown and crispy, turning every 5 minutes or so. Meat can also be cooked on a hibachi or regular grill. Meat does not need to be cooked to 160 degrees (and should not be!) as the lemon juice “cooks” the meat with enzymes while it marinates.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
It was okay, but it needs something, some type of additional seasoning. I'm thinking soy sauce. But then I didn't make the cucumber sauce that was meant to go along with it, so I am giving it the benefit of the doubt:) I let it marinate for three days, and it was quite tender , so I will play a bit with the recipe, see what I come up with! Thanks for posting! Made for Fall PAC 2012
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a self (and mother) taught cook. I have worked in many restaurants as a cook. I have a 16 year old daughter. I am in love with food....and my partner (hubbs)! My dream is to open up a restaurant that donates meals and a percentage of proceeds to homeless and hungry individuals and families!