Italian Tomato Sauce With Meatballs and Sausage
My best Italian Sauce. I make big batches and freeze it in containers for those nights we want a quick meal. My son says there is no better smell then the smell of my sauce simmering on the stove. I allow them a quick taste by dipping with a slice of Italian Bread.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 40mins
- olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes in puree
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 0.5 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons dried basil or 6 -8 leaves fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 -3 lbs sweet Italian sausage links
- 24 meatballs (#105179)
- Lightly coat bottom of a large 8 quart stock pot with Olive oil(roughly 3-4 Tbs.) Starting with a higher heat,heat oil and add onions. Stir to coat and cook 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and cook till all are soft not browning. Add two cans of crushed tomatoes. Lower heat just a bit to avoid splatting. With your hands crush the whole tomatoes into smaller pieces in a large bowl, leaving some larger pieces.(this adds the love) Add to pot. Stir and cook 1-2 minutes. Add 2 cans of tomato sauce. Use water to rinse out large cans and add the tomato paste to the water in the large can and stir to dissolve. Add to the pot and stir well. Add basil, oregano and sugar, salt and pepper. Bring back to a bubble and lower heat and simmer.
- Bake 2-3 lbs. Sweet Italian Sausage in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Add to sauce.
- Do not clean the pan.
- Make My Italian Meatballs #105179 then add to pan from sausage to bake. Add to sauce and continue to simmer 1-2 hours.
- Serve over your favorite pasta. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made these for Pick a Chef. September 2007. I used DianeNJ's recipe#245765 for the meatballs and knowing that we like strong Italian flavours I upped the garlic and herbs considerably. I used a large handful of fresh basil leaves and was pleased that I did becuase the flavour came though nicely and I used fresh oregano too instead of dried. This made a substantial meal that we liked a lot. Please see my rating system: a wonderful 4 stars for a nice weekday meal. Thanks!Reply