Green Beans Stewed With Tomatoes
- Ready In:
- 1 lb green beans (can also use fennel, asparagus or broccoli instead)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Trim ends of beans;cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths.
- In a large saucepan cook beans in lightly salted water for about 3 minutes; drain well.
- In a large non stick skillet, heat oil and add onion, garlic and basil.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients, except beans, and cook for 3 minutes then add beans.
- Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes until tender, stirring often.
- If necessary add more water to keep mixture moist.
- TO freeze: label and freeze in freezer bags or freezer containers for up to 4 months.
- To serve: defrost in fridge overnight and then reheat.
- Serve as a side dish or as a pasta sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation