Fresh Spinach Soup
photo by CaliforniaJan
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces fresh spinach
- Cook, drain, and chop the spinach; set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms and scallions in the butter in a saucepan until tender.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and mix well. Stir in the milk and mix well. Reduce heat. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the Swiss cheese, cream cheese, salt, and nutmeg. Add pepper to taste. Cook until the cheeses melt, stirring constantly.
- Add the cooked spinach and mix well. Cook just until heated through, stirring gently.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made with some potatoes as a dinner tonight. though I omitted the salt, and used 2 % milk , and low-fat butter. OMG>> nice , creamy, and full of flavors. I did take Jans tip, and chopped the mushrooms up a little. I only made recipe for 3, and wish I had made more, but since I have leftover ingredients, I have lunch tommorow too. Made for Almost 5..
Love both spinach and mushrooms so I was always going to love this recipe. I realised once I'd started making it that I was out of cream cheese so settled on using 1/2 feta and 1/2 Greek yoghurt in its place which worked really well. I used baby spinach leaves, basically because I use them all the time, stalks and all, and used slightly more mushrooms and spinach proportionally to the other ingredients, so my soup came out a bit thicker than Andi's looked which is how I like it. I used low-fat milk, basically again because that's what I generally use: a somewhat token effort really to lower the fat content! With all that naughtily yummy butter and cheese, this is not an everyday recipe, but it's certainly one which I'll enjoy from time to time. Loved the nutmeg in this too. Thanks for sharing this great recipe, loof: truly a spinach and mushroom lover's delight! And I've still got some in the fridge to enjoy in a day or two, and a portion in the freezer. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY