Fresh Lime Pie (British Virgin Islands)
photo by GiddyUpGo
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- lime zest from 1 lime
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the wafer crumbs with the butter and sugar and press down into the bottom of a pie pan. Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the crust is just starting to brown. Let cool.
- Put the eggs into a small mixing bowl and beat until they are thick and pale yellow. Stir the eggs into the condensed milk.
- Add the lime juice and rind and pour over the crust. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until the whites begin to thicken. Slowly add the sugar and continue to beat until you get stiff peaks.
- Spread the egg whites gently over the lime filling.
- Bake at 350 for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the meringue begins to brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mother of two with another one on the way! I am married to an Englishman and we own a small business in our local area. We live in a very small town called Rough and Ready (yes there really is a place called Rough and Ready!) I am a part-time writer and full time mom. My kids were born 15 months apart and keep me so busy I barely have enough time to cook and no time at all for my other passion, horseback riding. I once had four horses but am down to two; my Arab mare Argo and old Denver. Both of them spend the vast majority of their time standing around in my back yard eating hay. I get to feed them and look at them, but until my kids are all in school (and I stop having more kids) that's about it. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">