Fresh Cherry Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
1 9inch pie
- 1 pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- 4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 cups pitted cherries
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place rolled out crust in bottom of pie place.
- Roll out top crust and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine tapioca, salt, sugar, cherries, and extracts.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Turn out into bottom crust and dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust, flute edges and cut vents in top.
- Place pie on foil lined cookie sheet, in case of drips.
- Bake for 50 minutes, until golden brown.
Join The Conversation
Very, very good. Surprisingly, this can be made with either sweet cherries OR sour cherries, and is delicious either way! This thickened beautifully for me. Perfect recipe. Instead of making a second crust, I made crumbs for the top with sugar, flour and butter. (Note to self: don't pit the cherries the day before- all the juice comes out.)