Mouf (British Indian Ocean Territory/Chagos)
photo by GiddyUpGo
- Ready In:
- 2 cups white rice
- water, to cover
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large square pieces banana leaves
- Cover the rice with water and soak 30 minutes. Drain the water and transfer the rice to a food processor. Pulse until the rice looks like little beads.
- Add the coconut milk and sugar and stir until you get a nice batter.
- Lay the banana leaf flat on your work surface and pour the batter onto the leaf.
- Wrap the mouf batter in the leaf and submerged the entire packet in a pot of boiling water for about 30 minutes.
- At the end of 30 minutes, the mouf should be pretty soft. If the rice is still crunchy, put it back in the boiling water for another 15 minutes or until done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mother of two with another one on the way! I am married to an Englishman and we own a small business in our local area. We live in a very small town called Rough and Ready (yes there really is a place called Rough and Ready!) I am a part-time writer and full time mom. My kids were born 15 months apart and keep me so busy I barely have enough time to cook and no time at all for my other passion, horseback riding. I once had four horses but am down to two; my Arab mare Argo and old Denver. Both of them spend the vast majority of their time standing around in my back yard eating hay. I get to feed them and look at them, but until my kids are all in school (and I stop having more kids) that's about it. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">