Fish and Fungi (British Virgin Islands)
photo by GiddyUpGo
- Ready In:
For the fish
- 2 1⁄4 lbs firm white fish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons lemons or 4 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 lime, sliced
For the fungi
- 5 ounces frozen cut okra
- 3⁄4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- To make the fish, put all the ingredients into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, simmering for 20 to 30 minutes or until the fish flakes with a fork. Garnish with sliced lime.
- To make the fungi, bring the water to a boil and add the frozen okra.
- In a separate bowl, blend 2 tbsp of the cornmeal with about 6 tbsp water. Pour into the pot with the boiling water and okra and let cook for one minute.
- Slowly pour the rest of the cornmeal into the pan, stirring constantly. Add the butter and salt and pepper, continuing to cook for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mother of two with another one on the way! I am married to an Englishman and we own a small business in our local area. We live in a very small town called Rough and Ready (yes there really is a place called Rough and Ready!) I am a part-time writer and full time mom. My kids were born 15 months apart and keep me so busy I barely have enough time to cook and no time at all for my other passion, horseback riding. I once had four horses but am down to two; my Arab mare Argo and old Denver. Both of them spend the vast majority of their time standing around in my back yard eating hay. I get to feed them and look at them, but until my kids are all in school (and I stop having more kids) that's about it. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">