French Vanilla Ice Cream
photo by mersaydees
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 15mins
16 1/2 cup servings (1/2 gallon)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the half & half until very hot but not boiling, stirring often. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Place egg yolks and sugar in mixer bowl. Whip using whip attachment on speed 2 about 30 seconds or until well blended and slightly thickened. (Speed 2 on my mixer is about a low/medium speed).
- Continuing on speed 2 very gradually add the warm half & half and mix until blended.
- Return mixture to the saucepan over medium heat stirring constantly until small bubbles form around the edge of pan and the mixture is steamy. DO NOT BOIL.
- Transfer the half-and-half/egg mixture to a large glass bowl and stir in whipping cream, vanilla and salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly, at least 8 hours.
- Pour into your ice cream maker and process as directed or until desired consistency. In my KA freezer bowl this takes about 17 minutes for a soft set.
- Immediately transfer to serving dishes or freeze in an airtight freezer container.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!