Four Cheese Spinach Macaroni
photo by pattikay in L.A.
- Ready In:
- 1 (12 ounce) package penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 (8 ounce) package mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain well.
- In a dutch oven, melt the first 2 tablespoons of butter, add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Gradually stir in 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, the cream cheese, the mascarpone, mozzarella, salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the spinach and cooked pasta and blend well.
- Place this mixture in a lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, remaining parmesan and butter and mix well.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the macaroni mixture and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes at 375°F.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was really really good. I used fresh spinach wilting it a little butter (about four cups). Did not have mascarpone cheese so used another instead. cut a little of the calories skipping the breadcrumbs but bet it would have been awesome with them. Otherwise I followed the recipe. Was great re-heating it the next day as well. Will make again. Easy, perfect blend, forgiving (measurements need not be exact), a keeper. Thanks Sherrybeth!