Festive Macaroni and Cheese
photo by Sierra Silver
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup American cheese, cubed
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped finely
- 1 lb broccoli, thawed and chopped or 1 lb cauliflower, mix thawed and chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- In a large skillet, sauté scallions, bell pepper, and jalapeno until softened; drain.
- Cook macaroni just until al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour; whisk while cooking, and cook until smooth and lightly browned.
- Whisk in evaporated milk, milk, and spices; stir until thickened.
- Stir in American cheese; allow to melt thoroughly. Add cheddar in one-cup increments, melting thoroughly between additions.
- Mix sauce with vegetables and pasta; add to greased 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 F 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A moderately aged veterinarian who enjoys cooking and baking in her time off. Aside from the aforementioned, I enjoy reading, gardening, hiking, and solving puzzles.