Featherweight Buttermilk Biscuits
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 " pieces
- 3⁄4 cup chilled buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- Sift together first 6 ingredients into large bowl.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk and stir until dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface; knead until smooth, about 8 turns.
- Roll out the dough to 1 inch thickness.
- Using 2 inch diameter biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits.
- Gather scraps and roll out to 1 inch thickness and cut out additional biscuits.
- Transfer biscuits to large ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, about 12 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 11 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Food.com when the site was RecipeZaar, April 24, 2001. This site has been a favorite with me for many years now with its unique features and especially for the many, many dear friends I have met here. If you are a new visitor, I hope you will stop for a while and check us out. I hope you will find it as special as I have.