Fast and Easy Potato Salad
photo by Brittany W.
- Ready In:
- 2 -3 medium potatoes (try to pick ones around the same size for even cooking)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 -2 tablespoon mild paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 baby dill pickle, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice (optional)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced (optional)
- Cut the eyes and blemishes off the potatoes. Skin them if you prefer but I think they're delicious and they're definitely more nutritional!
- Rinse the potatoes and place them in the microwave undried.
- Microwave the potatoes (three at a time if you're making a double or triple recipe for the whole family or a potluck) spaced evenly apart on HIGH for THREE MINUTES.
- Chop your green onions. Chop your pickle and eggs if desired.
- Flip the potatoes over (careful, they're hot!) and microwave on HIGH for THREE MINUTES more.
- Mix the mayo, spices, onions, and optional pickle and eggs in a medium-sized bowl.
- Let the potatoes rest in the microwave for a few minutes (they will continue to cook).
- Test the doneness of the potatoes with a knife or fork by piercing into the center of each one. If the knife does not go in smoothly or there is resistance, repeat the microwaving process above in increments of ONE MINUTE.
- Place the cooked potatoes immediately into a bowl of cold water. Let cool for a few minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces (usually halves and then eights will do) - careful, they may still be hot inside.
- Mix potatoes with sauce mixture, and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Well, I have to give this 5 stars because my family will eat it! For some reason they don't like typical potato salads, but my husband really liked this one, and kids who would refuse to eat other potato salads ate this one with coaxing and time. I'll definitely make it again. My DH had just one suggestion... add a little salt... okay, I will. Thanks!
I followed the recipe with the following changes: 1/2 tsp paprika (instead of 1) and I added 2 stalks of celery as we like celery in our potato salad. I also microwaved the eggs so it made it super quick (cover eggs with cold water , add 1 tsp salt, microwave for 6 min, let cool for 2 mins then put in cold water--I have a high power microwave--lower power may need longer .)It tasted much like my traditional version with a garlic kick!!
see 8 more reviews
Great recipe! I don't know why it never occurs to me to nuke my potatoes. They turned out great. Like a previous reviewer I used relish instead of chopping a pickle, and I added a little dijon mustard. I also omitted the green onion because I didn't have any; fortunately the relish gives it a bit of colour. Thanks for the recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I like hiking, camping, painting, sewing, reading, learning, conversation, watching sunrises and sunsets, doing anything or nothing at the beach, drawing, photography, swimming, lounging, searching, spirituality, sleeping, watching magpies play, being scared of giant Albertan bunnies, listening for ground squirrels, walking down a street and smelling the scent of fresh laundry wafting through the air, travelling, road trips, the Rockies, walking, cooking, drinking wine or sweet vermouth, snuggling with my fiancee, researching sustainable development/renewable energy/green architecture