Farm Style Green Beans
photo by Lori Mama
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces fresh green beans
- 2 slices bacon, cut up
- 1 medium onion, cut into think wedges (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 cups chopped tomatoes or (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (*see note below)
- Leave green beans whole or cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large saucepan cook the beans in a small amount of boiling salted water about 10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bacon, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Drain bacon on paper towels; set aside.
- Cook and stir onion and mushrooms in reserved drippings over medium heat until tender.
- Add tomato and salt.
- Cook, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Transfer beans to a serving platter or bowl.
- Top with onion mixture.
- Sprinkle bacon over the vegetables.
- *Note: Omit salt if using canned tomatoes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!