Eggs New Orleans
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup American cheese, grated
- Cook vegetables and seasonings together for ten minutes.
- Remove bay leaf; add bread crumbs and place in a buttered casserole.
- Break the eggs on top (without breaking the yolks), sprinkle with salt and pepper and cover with grated cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes until eggs are set and cheese melts.
Join The Conversation
Just had this for breakfast, scaled it down to 1. Quite rich but very nice! Also added some mushrooms and used mozzarella for the cheese. I think I'll try it stove top next time as the egg was a bit hard, and it would be quicker! Think I might make this for xmas breakfast for the family. Thanks for sharing Molly :)