Easy 5-Minute Boston Brown Bread (Healthy/Low-Fat)
photo by letarr
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan (can use two smaller loaf pans).
- In a large bowl whisk the whole wheat flour with white flour, baking soda and brown sugar.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula mix in molasses and buttermilk until JUST combined (do not over mix).
- Gently mix in raisins or chopped dates.
- Spread in prepared loaf pan then allow the pan to sit on the counter for 5 minutes.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the loaf tests done (reduce cooking time if using smaller loaf pans).
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe for Boston Brown Bread is sublime. Simple, quick, delicious, and made with items I always have in the pantry.. I soaked raisins first in hot water to ensure they were moist and plump; used full-flavor molasses (not mild), bakers' powdered buttermilk (mixes with water); and added 1/2 cup very coarsely chopped walnuts. My loaves cooked perfectly in 50 minutes. Thank you so much for sharing!
Looks good, but...at 253 calories per serving with 102% of the daily value of sugar, I'm not sure I would classify this recipe as "healthy". Low fat does not mean low calorie if you use a lot of sugar. In fact, this is generating studies because it used to be accepted that fat was the villain in heart disease. Now researchers are looking at the cause of obesity, which increases the risk for heart disease and other illnesses. They are studying the possibility that so much added sugar in our diets is to blame.
This bread is amazing. I would have given it six stars if possible. I think the most amazing thing about this recipe is there is no added fat! In spite of that, it is not short on flavor. I added about 1/4 of chopped pecans. This bread is simply wonderful. I have been looking for a recipe like this one for a while. It is worth trying. You won't be disappointed!