- Ready In:
- Adjust grill rack or oven rack 6 inches from source of heat. Prepare grill to medium-hot or preheat broiler.
- Prepare sauce: Combine tomato sauce, ketchup, vinegar, water, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire and pepper flakes in non-aluminum saucepan; simmer 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle chicken legs with salt. Place on lightly oiled grill rack or broiler pan rack.
- To Grill: Coat chicken with sauce. Cook over medium-hot coals on covered grill, turning and basting frequently, 20 to 25 minutes or until no longer pink near bone.
- To Broil: Broil 10 minutes. Turn over; brush heavily with sauce; broil 15 minutes until no longer pink near bone, brushing with sauce every 5 minutes.
- Santa Fe Variation: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in saucepan. Add 1 small onion, chopped(1/4 cup), and 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped; saute until softened. Stir in 1 can (16 ounces) whole tomatoes in juice, 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies and 1/4 teaspoon salt; simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree in food processor or blender with 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro. Stir in 1 teaspoon lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon liquid red-pepper seasoning. Proceed with Step 3 above.
- California Sauce: Combine 3/4 cup chutney, 1/3 cup chili sauce, 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or distilled white vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger, 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon liquid red-pepper seasoning in food processor or blender. Whirl until smooth. Proceed with Step 3 above.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!