Curried Seafood Chowder
For a low-salt, low-fat diet, coat pan with nonstick spray rather than using butter and use low-sodium bouillon powder, skim evaporated milk and skim milk. Please don't substitute canned for frozen peas; they taste awful in this. Cooking time also includes final 10 minutes off flame.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2⁄3 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb scallops
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet bell peppers (color of your choice)
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or large pot.
- Over medium-high heat, sauté mushrooms and onion until tender, about 5 minute.
- Stir in curry powder and flour, then stir in next 8 ingredients (evaporated milk through sugar) plus 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp and scallops, return to boiling and then immediately reduce heat to a simmer.
- Let simmer, stirring often (including scraping bottom of pan), until shrimp begin to curl and scallops turn opaque, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Let stand 10 minutes, then serve.