Creamy Delicious Seafood Chowder
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh shrimp, unpeeled, medium size
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup red sweet bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 cups red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated skim milk
- 2 (8 3/4 ounce) cans salt-free cream-style corn
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 lb fresh crabmeat, drained and picked of shells
- Peel and devien shrimp. Set aside.
- Coat a dutch oven with cooking spray; add oil, and place over medium high heat until hot. Add onion, celery, red pepper, and garlic. Cook until tender.
- Add flour and cook, stirring contatnly, one minute. Gradually add in chicken broth, water and next 5 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer uncovered, stirring often for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in milk, corn and hot sauce. Return to a boil. Add shrimp and crabmeat; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring constantly.
- Remove and discard bay leaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I doubled the recipe, and used shrimp, crawfish, scallops, and crab meat. I made the following changes the second time I made chowder: I only used half the amount of corn, added 1 tablespoon salt, added 1 1/2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning, added black pepper and scallops. This is now a family favorite. It was our Christmas dinner this year. Thank you for a great recipe, ending my search for the "perfect chowder."
This was a terrific chowder base. We had leftovers from a holiday fish boil & wanted a creamy soup or stew to use up the leftovers. I made the base with the all chopped vegetables, then added the milk, leaving out the creamed corn & the potatoes, as mine were already cooked. When it was thickened & creamy, I added all my leftover potatoes, corn cut from the cob, crab, shrimp & hot sauce. Awesome!
I'm going to give this one 5 stars. My husband thought it was a definite 5 and I thought it was a 4 - but let me explain that I'm not a fan of corn in any recipe and usually omit it but did not in this case. i was hoping for a more rich seafoody/potatoey flavor but this was almost sweet despite the triple amount of tabasco I put in. That being said, my husband would be the true judge of a recipe like this and he LOVED it! He's not a soup eater and was not crazy about this being served tonight...until he tasted it. He then proceeded to eat 3 bowls. I used 8 cloves of garlic and increase all veggie's by a tad bit. I used chicken stock rather than broth and I did not peel my potatoes (due to a serious problem in my house called the ever missing potato peeler!). The store I got my ingredients at also did not have the fat free evaporated milk so I used 2%. Very tasty...very rich. Despite being so low in fat. Gotta love these super low fat dishes that still deliver a wallop of a punch of flavor! Great job here! Made for Photo Tag - Winter Game.
see 6 more reviews