Crockpot Beef Short Ribs With Rich Gravy
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
4 Beef Ribs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 meaty beef short ribs
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 3⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
For the gravy
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- Heat the oil on high in a large frying pan Place the short ribs in the pan and brown on all sides. This should take about 10 minutes. Add in the onion and cook for a further 2 minutes, whilst stirring.
- Add in the garlic and heat through for a minute, then add in the red wine. Bring to a bubble and allow to simmer for 3 or 4 minutes, then add in the rest of the short rib ingredients. Bring to the boil, then transfer to the crockpot. Place the lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- To make the gravy, ladle most of the cooking liquid out of the slow cooker and into a saucepan. Heat on a high heat. Mix the cornstarch and water, then slowly pour the mixture into the cooking liquid whilst whisking - until the gravy thickens. You may not need all of the cornstarch. You’re looking for a nice gravy of a medium-thick consistency.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This warmed our bones and made our taste buds have a party. Comfort food at it's best. The house smelled wonderful all day long. And the meat was silky and so tender and flavorful! The juices I took off to make the gravy I put in my trusty fat skimming cup, as there is a lot of fat on these short ribs, and the gravy was superb. I can't describe how tasty this whole dish was, it was just so yummy I will make these again and again when we feel the need for pure comfort food! I served this over creamy polenta with sweet and sour green beans. What a wonderful meal! Thanks, Bonnie, it's a keeper!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"