Crockpot Short Ribs With an Asian Twist
photo by Hippie2MARS
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 30mins
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Asian seasoning, divided
- 2 -3 lbs short ribs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ponzu sauce
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 tablespoon Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Turn crockpot on high and allow to preheat while preparing the food.
- Melt the butter along with the sesame oil over medium high heat.
- While butter is melting, combine flour, salt, pepper and 1 T of the Asian seasoning in a large plastic bag and shake to mix it up.
- Add the short ribs to the bag a couple at a time, shaking until well coated.
- Place the ribs in the butter and oil in the skillet and brown on all sides.
- While ribs are browning, chop all the vegetables.
- When ribs are brown on all sides, remove them from the skillet and place in crockpot.
- Add the diced veggies and the garlic to the same skillet and saute until onions are clear.
- Add all remaining ingredients, mix, then bring to a boil.
- Pour over the ribs in the crockpot, and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Change setting to low and cook an additional 6-7 hours.
- Before serving, drain or skim off grease.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm an Arkansas native but spent my teen-aged years in Memphis. I have four grown sons and 12 grandchildren. I currently live in Chattanooga, TN and cook mainly for just two, which has been quite an adjustment!