Crisp Savory Almonds
These make a great snack or appetizer. I love the mustard and cayenne! To blanch my almonds, I use Recipe #451094. The cooking time includes the 30 minutes of standing time in a "turned off" oven! Really only 25 minutes of actual cooking time.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups almonds, blanched, whole
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy. Add mustard, red pepper, and paprika; beat at low speed until well blended.
- Stir in almonds; toss to coat evenly.
- Combine Parmesan cheese and salt on a sheet of wax paper. Pour the almond mixture over the cheese mixture; toss gently to coat evenly. Spread almonds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn the oven off. Let the almonds stand in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove almonds from the oven, and let cool completely.
- Store almonds in an airtight container.