Creole Corn Chowder
photo by Candy C
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 10mins
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 lb tasso, chopped (or smoked sausage or ham if you can't get tasso)
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 lb red potatoes, chopped
- 1 lb corn kernel, frozen, thawed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken stock or (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 green onions, chopped
- In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp and set aside.
- Saute the onion, bell peppers, and celery in 2 tablespoons bacon drippings 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic, black and cayenne pepper, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and tasso and cook for 1 minute.
- While the vegetables are sauteeing, add the crumbled cooked bacon, carrots, potatoes, corn, creamed corn and chicken stock to your crock pot.
- Transfer the sauteed veggie mixture to the crock pot.
- Stir to mix, cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours.
- Turn crock pot to high and add the cream and green onion and cook an additional 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!