Corn Chowder from Mimi's Cafe
photo by Tea Jenny
- Ready In:
- On medium heat, melt butter.
- Simmer onion and celery for 5 minutes until soft but not brown.
- Add water, potatoes, corn and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are barely tender.
- Whisk the flour into 1 cup of half & half and stir into soup.
- Add remaining 3 cups half & half.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes until soup thickens to creamy consistency.
- To make soup thicker, simmer another 5-10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have been making this soup for over 10 years. My family loves it, even 2/3 of my kids. I have one super picky eater. The only things that over the years I do differently, is I add fresh chopped parsley at the half and half stage and I also leave the well scrubbed skins on my potatoes. I rough chop everything. We love this all year round. I did add fresh crab a few years ago, my husband loved it. That was "his" pot. Lol. I don't personally care for seafood. Overall, I would completely recommend this soup. Easy, delicious. Easy to tweak with protein. We usually accompany it with salad and a crusty baguette. Enjoy!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a Type 1 diabetic with an awesome husband and kitty. My diabetes was very sudden but I have learned a lot about it in the last year and I am managing it pretty well with my latest A1c at 6.8%. I have always loved to cook and enjoy looking for new recipes to spice things up some. My husband hates having the same dish twice in one month, so I face many challenges to come up with new things. I also enjoy quilting and journaling. I have been working on a quilt for myself for the last year and hope to actually have it finished soon! <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">