Creamy Seafood Lasagna (Treasure Trove #5)
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 1hr 2mins
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (or butter)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (8 oz, shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion (sliced with tops)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (9-10 noodles, uncooked)
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) can crabmeat (drained & debris removed)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can shrimp (small size, drained)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat margarine (or butter) in a 3 qt saucepan over low-heat till melted.
- Stir in the garlic, flour & salt. Cook (stirring constantly) till bubbly & remove from heat.
- Stir in the milk & broth. Return to heat source & bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil & stir for 1 minute.
- Add mozzarella cheese, onions, basil & pepper. Cook over low-heat (stirring constantly) till cheese is melted.
- Spread 1/4 of the cheese sauce (about 1-1/2 cups) in an ungreased oblong baking dish (13x9x2 in). Top w/3-4 uncooked noodles (overlap as necessary).
- Spread the cottage cheese over the noodles. Repeat with 1/4 of the cheese sauce & 3 noodles.
- Top w/crabmeat, shrimp, 1/4 of the cheese sauce & then w/the remaining 3 noodles & cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle evenly w/parmesan cheese. Bake (uncovered) till noodles are done (35-40 minutes). Let stand 15 min b4 cutting.
I made this lasagna last night for my family and guests. I found it to be very easy to make. The un-cooked lasagna noodles caught me a little off guard, but they were perfect when the baking time was up. Everyone loved the flavor, texture, blend of shrimp, crab, and cheeses. My mother-in-law even asked me to email her the recipe. This one's a keeper and I will be making it again.
This lasagna was the easiest lasagna I made! I choose to change the layering to sauce, seafood, cottage cheese then the lasagne sheet, I repeated this step until all the ingredients finished. In my opinion the seafood just on the top, would be lost and they lasagne would be just sauce, cottage cheese and noodles. I also doubled the seafood and used large green prawns/shrimp. I made it for a dinner party and the guests all said it's a five star for taste. Thank you twissis
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an American transplanted from Dallas to Iceland by marriage to a native Icelander & I retired to become his "Kitchen Queen". We love to entertain our family & friends, so I have an eclectic collection of recipes. I especially love simple, easy-fix, flexible & make-ahead recipes - BUT also like challenging myself on occasion. I enjoy baking & food photography. I am devoted to the "More is Always Better Principle" & apply it liberally to bacon, butter & garlic. I can have ingredient issues due to availability here in Iceland & my DH is medically diet-restricted from some ingredients as well. Either situation might require me to modify a recipe, but I will do my best to be true to your recipes & fair/honest in my reviews. Mary Pat (aka twissis)