Creamed Spinach and Bacon Bake
photo by Karen Elizabeth
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (cooked until crisp then chopped)
- 1 (300 g) package frozen spinach (thawed under hot water then squeeze dry)
- 5 tablespoons butter (or use the bacon grease from the bacon it must be at least 5 tablespoons)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh garlic
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (or use fresh sauteed sliced mushroomed)
- 3 tablespoons flour (use 4 tablespoons for a thicker sauce)
- 2 cups 18% cereal cream (or use half and half cream)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 9-inch baking dish (or use an 8 x 8-inch baking dish).
- In a medium saucepan melt 5 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in onions and saute for about 4 minutes (or until soft).
- Add in garlic, mushrooms, cooked bacon, cayenne pepper and seasoned salt, saute for 1 minute.
- Add in flour and stir with a wooden spoon and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in the cream; bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and smooth (this should take about 3-4 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the spinach and stir until combined and mixed into the cream sauce.
- Mix in the cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese; stir until the cheese has melted.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 (or to taste) Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until browned on top and bubbly.
- Let sit for 20 minutes before spooning out of the baking dish, this only gets better the longer you leave it sit, but you won't be able to keep your spoon out of the dish lol!.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Truly a spinach recipe par excellence! :) I omitted the cayenne pepper (personal taste preference) and added some cumin. My only other addition was one leek - as I love the blend of flavours from onion, garlic and leek - which I added with the onion. Otherwise I made this exactly to the recipe and wouldn't want to change a thing. I used fresh mushrooms - Swiss browns. We allowed this recipe to take centre stage for tonight's dinner and enjoyed it with a simple rice dish. One of those great finds recipes! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderfully delicious recipe, KITTENCAL. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.
I was given a whole pile of spinach and immediately whipped out this recipe! The only thing I lacked was the mushrooms, and I'm not wild about them anyway. I used half full-cream milk, and a mixture of buttermilk and cream, using what I had in the fridge. I've prepared up to Step 11, and will bake it off for supper tonight, we have guests staying and I made this to get a jump ahead on meal preparation! But I did sample it as it cooked on the stove.... yum! I had to be very strict to stick to sampling! A great bake, thank you, Kitten.
This is the best creamed spinach I've ever eaten! Of course I would expect nothing less of a Kitten recipe! I did use fat free half and half for the 18% cream, and I added a touch of freshly ground nutmeg before adding the cheeses. My oldest asks for broccoli or spinach for his birthday meal every year, and he was thrilled with this recipe. Bacon, mushrooms, cheese and spinach, what's not to love! Thank you for yet another perfect recipe!
Hi Kitten, me again:):)We used this dish for our Thanksgiving Lunch - it was wonderful! Sauteed the spinach, garlic, onion, fresh mushrooms, bacon, seasoning salt & crushed red pepper flakes in a non stick pan with 3 T of butter. Then we added the flour, cream, black pepper, gruyere cheese(instead of the Parm and Cheddar)& boursin cheese. I have to tell you - it was absolutely awesome!:yummy: I always enjoy preparing and eating your recipes, thank you, Diane