- Ready In:
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages cornbread mix (I prefer Jiffy brand, it has a slight sweet taste) or (8 1/2 ounce) packages corn muffin mix (I prefer Jiffy brand, it has a slight sweet taste)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet basil (The above three seasonings can be adjusted depending on how much spice you prefer)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1/2 cup salad dressing
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 (2/3 ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix
- 3 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped (I used 2 cans tomatoes, diced and peeled)
- 1 cup chopped green peppers or 1 cup bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (16 oz)
- 2 ounces cooked elbow macaroni (optional)
- 16 ounces black-eyed peas, rinsed & drained (optional)
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-size buds (optional)
- 2 cups diced celery (optional)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, cut in quarters (optional)
- 16 ounces kidney beans, rinsed & drained (optional)
- 16 ounces canned great northern beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 16 ounces canned black beans, rinsed & drained (optional)
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions.
- Stir in chilies, cumin, oregano and sweet basil.
- Spread in a greased 9 X 13 inches.
- square baking pan.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and dressing mix; set aside.
- Crumble half the corn bread into serving dish.
- Layer with half of the beans, mayonnaise mixture, corn tomatoes, green pepper, onions, bacon and cheese.
- Repeat layers (dish will be very full).
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Yield: 24 servings.
- This recipe may be cut in half, if necessary.
- If using leftover cornbread, mix chilies (drained), cumin oregano, and sweet basil with all ready prepared cornbread.
- There is really no limit as to what you can put in this salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!