- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 10 cups tomatoes, peeled,diced and drained
- 2 yellow sweet peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 green sweet peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 orange sweet bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 large Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 5 hot peppers, seeded and finely chopped (Add more if you wish it hotter =0 !!)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- Place ingredients in a large heavy bottomed pot and cook for 10 minutes until mixture is very hot.
- Pack in hot pint jars.
- Place in water bath for 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My friend and I made this salsa on the weekend. We canned 30 pints. It is excellent. The colors all blend and look so good. The flavors is great. Not to hot. I would say a mild to medium heat.The only thing we did different was added purple onion in place of the spanish. This recipe is definately a keeper. Thanks B & S
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Zaar...Wow, what a place! I'm one of the old timers of Zaar. I can't count the number of wonderful dishes I cooked in the past few years since joining. Along the way I have had the pleasure of meeting several Zaar chefs. Talk about your fruits and nuts! lol. I have enjoyed meeting them all. Family: What's to say...I have had the same sweet husband forever (Good thing....I'd hate to have to break a new one in...=) and live close to a couple of grown children. (Maybe you've met Smoke Alarm Jr. ..her brown rolls are sooo good!) Therefore, my family gets together often to enjoy each other's company and cooking. My greatest joy is six "little to tallerthanme" kids running around calling me Grammy. They wear me out! lol For the past thirty years I have been a Special Education teacher for grades 9-12 and love it. Took some time off last year to recovery from surgery, chemotherapy and radiation for breast cancer. (Loved the radiation....I keep imagining that we are absolutely napalming the nasty cancer cells tohellandback to keep the little suckers from returning. =) My prognosis is good and now "I'm back in the saddle again". lol. Being a north country "gurl", I am happiest outside...walking, fishing, sitting in front of an outdoor fire or being on water (although in February it's a bit stiff....=0) When indoors I like to read, garden, knit, quilt and paint. During cold Maine weather I like to warm my feet on a very large ( 100 pounds of long legs and huge feet), sweet and furry golden retriever named Kerry (aka KTBRD: Kerry the big red dawg..lol) . In the summer, the dawg and I round up the grandkids, hit the local dairy bar for a Mounds Sundae that is to die for!!!=0) . Then spend a lot of long and lazy summer days at camp . All in all...Boy, Life is good! =)