Classic Cornbread Sausage Stuffing
photo by College Inn
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 pkg. (8.5 oz. each) corn muffin mix*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 oz. reduced-fat pork sausage or smoked turkey sausage, thinly sliced
- 3 cups College Inn® Chicken or Turkey Broth, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions for a double recipe, using broth in place of the liquid. Let cool 30 minutes before coarsely crumbling in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausage until browned, stirring frequently; remove and set aside.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth, celery, onion and sage to sausage drippings in skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until celery is tender. Stir in black pepper and remove from heat.
- Stir sausage and celery mixture into cornbread. Add remaining broth and egg; gently stir until just moistened. (For moister stuffing, add 1 cup additional broth.) Spoon into an 11x7-inch baking dish coated with non-stick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- *NOTE: Eight cups coarsely crumbled cornbread of your own recipe can be used instead of cornbread prepared from mix.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!