Classic Beef Barley Soup
An easy classic beef barley soup with lots of flavor! Feel free to add in any extras of your choice, I like to add in chili flakes and jalapeno peppers for some heat, I also like to sprinkle some fresh grated Parmesan cheese on top of the soup in the bowl
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced (optional, can use more I always do)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme (optional or to taste)
- 4 carrots (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, brown the ground beef with onion, garlic and thyme (if using) until meat is no longer pink.
- Add the remaining ingredients to pot.
- Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, adding salt and pepper to suit taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
A good, easy, classic, crowd-pleasing soup. I made it for our teachers (we provide soup for our teachers every first Monday of the month) and out of the 5 choices, it was the first one gone! I used a mixture of beef stock, chicken stock and 1 can of consomme. Also added 1/2 can of corn and some fresh green beans just to get a few more veggies in there. I added a little more barley and stock than it called for since I needed it to feed a group. And a few splashes of Worchestershire (sp?). I enjoyed having hamburger vs. chunks of beef--made it seem more souplike than stew like. I will be adding this to my recipe file!
I've made this at least six times now and finally thought to review it. We've had it with both the ground beef and leftover roast, either way it's a family favourite.The addition of the can of tomatoe soup just gives it that extra body and flavour. We're having it tonight with bakery rolls and saskatoon berry pie for dessert. Thanks for another awesome recipe Kittencal.