photo by CandyTX
- Ready In:
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1 (5 1/4 ounce) package boursin cheese (garlic-herb spreadable cheese)
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (2 lbs. total)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 425.
- In bowl, stir broccoli and cheese to combine and set aside.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet to a 14x12-inch rectangle; cut each sheet into 4 7x6-inch rectangles.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt, then spread 1/4 cup broccoli mixture over pastry, place chicken on top, then sprinkle with with 2 teaspoon bread crumbs.
- Brush egg mixture onto edges of rectangle and fold pastry over chicken; press edges to seal.
- Place seam-side down on ungreased shallow baking pan, and repeat with each chicken breast.
- With remaining pastry, using a small cookie cutter, cut out decorative shapes.
- Brush egg mixture over pastry packets, place decorations on top of packets and brush with additional egg mixture.
- Bake at 425 for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden and chicken is cooked through.
- TIPS: You can assemble up to one day ahead, although the pastry crust will be slightly soggy on the bottom (it will still look and taste good); I found that using slightly smaller chicken pieces allowed for easier assembly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We do have a number of family recipes for stuffing chicken breasts but am always looking for new touches when going with chicken breasts for a special meal. Happy to have found this one. Not much I can add to what has already been said - makes for great taste and presentation! Other than using Merlot's recipe#31669 which makes up beautifully instead of one from the grocer's shelf I made as posted. Thank you for a recipe that has been added to my Family Favorites.
Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I made this when my parents came over for dinner and they loved it. There was no "oh this is great, nice job, great dinner..it was silence and the odd Mmm oohhh Mmmm." You know it's good when there's silence and only the sound of steel hitting ceramic. I used Phyllo instead of pastry. 3 layers of phyllo, half a sheet length for each chicken breast. Very easy to make, I prepared the broccoli mixture early in the day and because phyllo dries out quickly I assembled it just prior to cooking. cooking time was spot on. Thanks again
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/Switzerland-FFF4.gif"> After growing up in central Wisconsin, I moved to California and spent my 20's and part of my 30's there. I've since moved to the east coast to a small village in Northern Virginia - a huge change! We moved here mainly so we could live in an area better suited to raising children and closer to family. Although it's an adjustment, we really love it here. My husband and I were married in Feb 2003 and had our first daughter, Kylie, in Aug 2004. Our second daughter, Katie, was just born in July 2006. I was an HR Director until I became Mom, and I wouldn't trade this job for anything in the world! I began cooking when I became a stay-at-home-mom, mostly out of necessity. We used to eat out for every meal...and I do mean EVERY meal. When our income was cut in half after my "early retirement", eating out was no longer an option. Therefore, if I was going to continue to eat all the delicious food I was accustomed to, I was going to have to...oh, the horror!!!...COOK IT MYSELF!!! I had grown up baking with my mom, but hadn't actually baked in years and had always left the cooking to her. To my utter surprise and delight (not to mention my husband's SHOCK and delight)...I loved it! Then, to find Recipezaar...well, it's become a much loved hobby and something I'll surely do for the rest of my life! <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w186.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w186.photobucket.com/albums/x187/kristybernardo/15590867.pbw" height="360" width="360"></embed><a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://pic.photobucket.com/album/slideshow/wrapper_logo.gif" style="float:left;border-width: 0;" ></a><a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x187/kristybernardo/?action=view¤t=15590867.pbw" target="_blank"><img src="http://pic.photobucket.com/album/slideshow/wrapper_viewshow.gif" style="float:right;border-width: 0;" ></a><a href="http://photobucket.com/slideshow?action=landing" target="_blank"><img src="http://pic.photobucket.com/album/slideshow/wrapper_getyourown.gif" style="float:right;border-width: 0;" ></a>