Chicken Sausage, Apple and Cabbage Saute
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (for 1 cup thin slices)
- 4 links smoked chicken, sausage (12 oz, or any smoked sausage or kielbasa)
- 2 granny smith apples (about 1 1/2 lb, for 2 1/2 cup chopped apple)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green cabbage (for 8 cup thinly sliced, loosely packed)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In a 12", extra deep skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium heat.
- Peel onion, slice into 1/8th inch thick slices, adding to skillet as you slice. Stir and cook.
- Meanwhile, slice each sausage unto 1/2" pieces; set aside.
- Core (but do not peel) the apples; chop into bite sized pieces.
- Add apples and sausage to the skillet; stir well and cook over medium heat.
- Thinly slice cabbage no larger than 1/4" wide slices for quick cooking; add to skillet.
- Add water, butter, and honey; stir to mix well.
- Bring liquid to a boil, cover skillet, and steam until cabbage is crisp tender, approx 5-6 minutes.
- Uncover the skillet and sprinkle with pepper and vinegar; toss to mix.
- Taste and add more vinegar if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!