Chicken Gumbo Pie With Buttermilk Biscuit Crust
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb andouille sausages or 1 lb Polish sausage, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Buttermilk Biscuit Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Add in the flour and cook, stirring constantly until the flour is the color of light caramels.
- This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add in onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and creole seasoning, stirring and cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add in chicken and sausage; cook for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add in the chicken stock, whisking until the sauce is thickened.
- Decrease heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate the filling for up to two days before baking; reheat to serving temperature before baking.
- Make the crust: in a big bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in shortening, then stir in the buttermilk until the dough begins to form.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and roll it out ½ inch thick.
- Cut out individual biscuits.
- When ready to bake with the crust, transfer the filling to an ovenproof baking and serving dish; preheat oven to 425°; lay biscuits on top of the gumbo; brush biscuits with the melted butter and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note