Cornbread Chicken Pie
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 2 chicken breasts, large, halved
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sweet, chopped
- 1 shallot, french, large, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, cremi, sliced
- 1 cup bell pepper, sweet (mixture, red or orange or yellow)
- 1⁄2 cup corn, frozen, peaches and cream
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, sea
- 1 teaspoon oregano, fresh, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup broth, chicken
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven 425°F.
- Put chicken in pot, pour in just enough water to cover, bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain, remove the chicken from pot, deskin, debone and cube.
- Place the cooked chicken in the fridge until needed.
- Melt butter and saute onions, shallot, peppers, mushrooms and corn 5 minutes.
- Add flour, and cook for 1 minute, now add the salt and oregano, then slowly in the milk and broth.
- Stirring often, cook until the mixture has thickened, add chicken cubes.
- Pour into a round baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Blend in the egg, milk and butter.
- Stir in the cheese and pour over the chicken mixture, sprinkle with paprika and oregano.
- Turn oven down to 400°F and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the crust is golden.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Loved it. I am a beginner cook, always looking for something that seems easy.<br/>This recipe made me look like a very good cook. Like to read the reviews and see what other have done just a little different. Of course I also tweaked the recipe a little. Used no mushrooms, but used a small bag of mixed vegetables, and used a packet of Mexican Cornbread for the topping.<br/>I was worried the cornbread mixture would not get done, but the cornbread mixture combined with the vegetables was perfection.
Made for Everyday is a Holiday Tag. If I could give a recipe more than five stars this would be one of them. We all loved it - this is pure comfort food. The cornbread topping is so good and the filling is nice and creamy. I did leave out the mushrooms due to an allergy and increased the corn to 1 cup. Will definitely make this again as I always have these ingredients on hand. Thanks BabyKato for a great recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a very lucky lady. I recently moved to a very small town in New Brunswick, Canada with my wonderful husband who is my best friend. Very fortunate to have a cherished son, wonderful daughter in law and adorable granddaughter and cute wee grandson. We are very blessed. A big thank you to everyone that has made my recipes... hope you enjoyed them.