Cheese Braided Bread
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 50mins
- Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl.
- Combine yogurt, 1/2 cup water and butter in a saucepan; heat over low heat until warm.
- Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat for two minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon beaten egg for topping; add remaining eggs, 1 cup flour and 1 1/2 cups cheese.
- Beat on high for two minutes.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about ten minutes.
- Put in a greased bowl, turning to grease top of dough; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about an hour).
- Punch down; divide dough in half.
- Divide each half into three pieces and shape each piece into a 12" rope.
- Braid the three ropes together and pinch ends together to seal; repeat with the second loaf.
- Place loaves into a greased 9 x 5" loaf pan, cover and let rise until doubled.
- Combine reserved egg and milk; brush over loaves.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven 30 minutes or until done.
- Remove from pans and cool on racks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!