MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A delicious Mexican stew--make it as mild or as spicy as you like.
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 10mins
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cubed
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 10 fluid ounces homemade beef broth
- 4 fluid ounces water
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 serrano chili peppers (seeded or not and chopped, (or more)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat, and cook beef until evenly brown.
- Pour off excess fat and then stir in tomato paste, beef broth and water.
- Season with garlic, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt and serrano peppers.
- Reduce heat, and simmer (or place in a crockpot on low setting) for 8 to 12 hours--the longer you allow it to cook, the more tender the beef will be.
- Dissolve cornstarch in a small amount of water, and stir into simmering stew until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Serve with Mexican rice and/or homemade tortillas.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very good. We made a couple of changes. I use one jalepeno (what we had) but took out most of the seeds (less heat). Used a whole can of beef broth and left out the water. And used a little jalepeno juice from a jar of pickled jalepenos. We served it with bean, rice, and flour tortillas. I liked making a burrito out of it. So good!! We will make it again. Thank you!Reply
Great recipe Miller! I browned my meat then made it in the crockpot. The only change I made to the recipe was to use 4 chili peppers, since we like spicy foods. It was very spicy, but so tasty. I just served it over white rice with broccoli! I'll certainly be making this again! Thanks for posting this great recipe!1Reply
This was easy to make, my kind of recipe. I browned the meat(london broil) and then put it & everything else in the crockpot. The flavor of the sauce was wonderful, DH even said so!! I served it with Mexican rice and steamed zuccini. I doubled the recipe so will have left overs for burritos tonight. Thanks Miller1Reply
see 3 more