Caramelized Brussels Sprouts With Cranberries and Bacon
- Ready In:
- 10 cups water
- 4 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 5 -6 pieces bacon, minced
- 1 red onion, medium dice
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large pot over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Generously salt the water and add the Brussels sprouts. Cook the sprouts until medium tenderness has been reached, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a large saucepan over medium heat fry the bacon until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from the pan to a plate lined with a paper towel. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Leave the bacon fat in the pan and add red onion and 3 tablespoons of butter. Saute until the onions are translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the red wine vinegar and brown sugar and cook until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the Brussels sprouts from water and add to pan with the onions. Stir to coat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Stir in the resrved bacon and cranberries. Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper; to taste and transfer to a serving bowl.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Love Brussel sprouts like this! My kids will even eat them, and one requests this recipe often! I have made it a few times and steaming works much better due to the extra water that each sprout will hold. The extra water tends to thin out the yummy sauce. We usually don't add the cranberries, but we always add pecans. This is a nice quick side dish, but labor intensive, so I make sure the other parts of my meal don't need much attention. Thanks!
I did cut the recipe in half for just the 2 of us, which gave us enough left over for a second meal! I also steamed the sprouts so they'd retain more of their nutrition, & used a generous measure of the dried cranberries (love those things)! All for a great tasting side, especially with the bacon! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block recipe tag]
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a retired Special Education teacher. I love to cook and entertain friends. I'm an avid sewer and crafter.