Deep-Fried Beef Chimichangas With Guacamole
- Ready In:
For the guacamole
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 serrano chilies, stems and seeds removed and chopped (use gloves to handle these)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaf
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (1 or 2 limes depending on size)
- 3 ripe tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly diced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the chimichangas
- 12 large flour tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 liter vegetable oil or 1 liter canola oil
For the ground beef filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Special equipment: Wooden skewers or round toothpicks
- Slice each avocado in half lengthwise, pop out seed and slip off the skin. Smash the avocado in a bowl and add onion, chiles, cilantro, lime juice, tomatoes, and garlic and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a couple of hours to allow flavors to combine.
- Lay out tortillas and sprinkle about 1/8 cup cheese on each. Begin heating vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in deep-fryer.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat and saute onion until translucent. To this pan, add ground beef, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, celery salt, and salt and pepper, and cook until browned. Divide meat mixture into equal amounts in the pan. Then using a slotted spoon to leave excess liquid behind, transfer meat mixture to the center of each tortilla and fold the tortilla into a closed packet and secure using a wooden skewer or round toothpicks. Deep fry chimichangas until golden brown. (Alternatively, you can skip the deep frying step altogether by arranging the chimichanga packets on a baking sheet and bake until cheese melts and tortillas begin to firm up, about 5 to 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degrees F oven.) Remove skewers/toothpicks before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Square Meals Make Round People - Author Unknown <br /><br />Do It With Love---It Will Taste Better - Author Unknown <br /><br />I joined zaar in 2002 but I really didn't use it much on until 2006 after my computer crashed and I lost all my unsaved recipes. Now I post all recipes I've tried or would like to try. I'm actually making it my goal to try almost all the recipes I've posted as soon as I can. I love food and I love to eat and try different recipes. My favorite course is dessert. I love sweets! This leads me to that I did have Gastric Bypass surgery on July 25th 2008. On that note I love baking and cooking a priceless gift passed down from my grammy who I dearly loved and miss deeply. My grammy passed away 1/15/07. She was a wonderful cook and baker and taught me many things and the most valueable things was how to be a wonderful cook and baker like her. I really enjoy searching for new recipes especially here on Zaar. I'm always finding and adding to my cookbook new and exciting recipes. I also enjoy posting recipes here on Zaar as well. I really love collecting different cookbooks. I have over a 100 and growing! I collect mostly Taste Of Home & community cookbooks. The minute I get a cookbook home I sit down and I read my cookbooks from front to back like novels. I work for the Elmira City School District and YWCA. I'm raising my 8 yrs old newphew. I'm a part time college student studing Early Childhood Education, but taking time off and hoping to return soon. I live in Elmira, New York where famous writer Mark Twain did some of his writing and he once lived. I have 1 cats Samantha and 1 dog our newest member MOO MOO (my nieces dog) who are my children as I do not have any human children of my own. I lost four of my very dear children (kitty's) Callie June 2007, Miss Kitty in March 2010, my dog Angel in December 2010, and my other cat Chase in September 2011. I'm recently married on August 12th 2010. I love spending time with my niece 9 yrs old and my newphews 7 & 8 yrs old. I enjoy couponing and trading coupons. I love the internet as there's so much to look at online even though you know where I spend most of my time! I enjoy going to yard sales and estate sales every spring - fall. I love gardening and have many different pretty flowers.</p> 8724441"