Calzones With Pasta Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package pepperoni slices, chopped
- 4 slices monterey jack cheese, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans refrigerated prepared pizza crust
- 2 cups pasta sauce, thawed
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- Stir together first 5 ingredients until blended. Stir in pepperoni and chopped cheese slices.
- Divide each pizza crust into 2 portions. Roll each dough portion into a 7-inch circle.
- Spoon 1/2 cup cottage cheese mixture in center of each circle. Fold dough over filling, pressing edges to seal; place on a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Prick dough several times with a fork.
- Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve calzones with warm Pasta Sauce.
- * Chopped cooked ham may be substituted for pepperoni slices.
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in diced tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 2 hours. Divide into recipe portions; and freeze remaining portions.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this for dinner on a week night and the kids and hubby loved it. Didn't have time to make the sauce so I just used Hunt's canned pasta sauce. I was kinda skeptical about the cottage cheese filling but we all loved it. Will definitely make them again. PS: I did add some salt to the filling mixture and 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
I had to tubes of pizza dough reaching thier expiration date.So, I came to recipezaar to find a way of using them up..I am glad I decided on this recipe..Turns out I had exactly 1 cup of cottage cheese also past its date,but still good...I used 1/2 tblsp parsley flakes and shredded monterey jack cheese I put on last before folding..Served with leftover ragu sauce from the other night..We really liked the flavor of these calzones..I will make these again..Thank U for this recipe..