Butternut Squash Coconut Curry
photo by Kim S.
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
- curry powder, salt and pepper for sprinkling over squash
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can light coconut milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- basmati rice or brown rice, for serving
- Place cubed butternut squash on a foil lined baking sheet, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle generously with curry powder, salt and pepper, and roast at 350 for 35-45 minutes, or until tender. You still want them to hold their shape when added to the curry, and not be mush :>.
- While squash cooks, heat 1-2 tsp of canola oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and a little bit of salt, and sauté 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
- Next, add the curry powder, cumin, corriander and cinnamon, and stir to coat the onions evenly with spices.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, and the chickpeas, stir to combine.
- Next, add the spinach, stirring to coat with cooking liquid.
- When all the spinach is added to the pan, cover and simmer until just wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and gently stir to combine.
- Finally, add the roasted butternut squash to the liquid, and stir to coat.
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro (optional) and serve over basmati rice (I like brown basmati).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I cut butternut squash in half lengthwise and roasted it with the skin on (it made it a lot easier to peel) and then I cubed it.When I mixed everything together at the end I cooked it all together for about 10 minutes. I really enjoyed this and didn't find it too overwhelming in it's spiciness, but it did have enough to be distinctive and a really nice change for a side dish.
This was fabulous. Just the perfect meal on a blustery fall night. I have an abundance of produce from my CSA right now so I substituted fresh kale for the spinach and added chopped broccoli. After the additions I needed more liquid so I added an additional can of coconut milk. Yummy! Can hardly wait for the leftovers for lunch!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Friend me on Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Rebekah Reid</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/badges.php" title="Make your own badge!" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Create Your Badge</a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP"><img src="http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1059979755.389.889814801.png" alt="Rebekah Reid" style="border: 0px;" /></a> Follow me on <a href="http://twitter.com/Becky_R">Twitter!</a> <a href="http://web.me.com/kozmic_blues">My Website!</a> <a href="http://beckystastyplanet.blogspot.com/">Food Blog!</a> <a href="http://gallery.mac.com/kozmic_blues">Photo Gallery!</a> Thanks for visiting my "About Me" page!! I'm Becky and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I probably enjoy cooking more than almost anything...which is why I adore this site so much!! Nothing makes me more happy than to create a meal for family and friends to share together and ENJOY. <img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxVQnIIYIrpqKM:http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/autism_awareness_logo3.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AfhXhWEtLQYbVM:http://www.marriageequalityri.org/photos/shop.a1.jpg><img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:iSI4l3JhSOqKPM:http://marriagerights.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gay-pride-flag-738850.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:1J1-2O7PWW4c5M:http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/vegan.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group12starfruit.jpg>