Vietnamese-Style Cod, Prawn & Coconut Curry
photo by Ian G.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 4 cm piece ginger, grated
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 bird's eye chili, finely sliced, plus extra to garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 400 ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 200 ml stock (made using 1/2 reduced-salt chicken stock cube)
- 2 teaspoons soft dark brown sugar
- 1 stick lemongrass, bashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 600 g cod, loin cut into bite-sized chunks
- 8 frozen indonesian tiger shrimp, defrosted, shells removed (leaving tails on)
- juice 1/2 lime, plus lime wedges to serve
- 300 g steamed jasmine rice plus coriander sprigs, to serve
- Put the oil in a large pan over a high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and shallot and fry for 30secs-1 min until just starting to turn golden brown. Add the curry powder, turmeric and chilli, and stir-fry for 30 secs.
- Add the tomato puree, coconut milk, stock, sugar, lemongrass, bay leaves, and fish sauce. Bring to the boil, then simmer until thickened.
- Add the cod and prawns, and bring back to the boil. Cover and simmer for 5 mins, until the cod is cooked through and the prawns are pink. Stir in the lime juice, garnish with coriander and chillies, if using, and serve with rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!