Buddhist Vegetable Noodles
photo by mersaydees
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided plus 1 teaspoon extra for tossing
- 1 small onion, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 slices ginger, finely chopped
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 1 hour and sliced (reserve soaking water)
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce (yes, it does exist)
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded (Tientsin, although I used Napa)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons bamboo shoots, cut into matchsticks
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 tablespoon shaohsing rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 10 ounces fresh Chinese egg noodles
- 2 green onions, green part only, thinly sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a preheated wok and stir-fry onion until translucent. Toss in garlic, ginger, and mushrooms and stir-fry for another minute. Add oyster sauce and 2 tablespoons soy sauce and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove wok contents to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in the hot wok and stir-fry cabbage, bell peppers, bamboo shoots, and carrot for 3 minutes. Toss in bean sprouts, sugar, ¼ cup reserved mushroom water, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add onion and mushroom mixture, rice wine, and sesame oil and stir to combine well.
- Cook noodles in plenty of water at a rolling boil for about a minute. Drain thoroughly, rinse under cold running water, and drain again. Toss noodles with remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce and remaining 1 teaspoon peanut oil.
- To serve, place noodles on a large warmed serving platter, spoon vegetable mixture on top, and mix lightly. Garnish with green onions sprinkled over the top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!