Brazilian Beef and Tomatoes
photo by St. Louie Suzie
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 3 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large cast iron skilled over medium high heat brown beef.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the tomatoes, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Stir well.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Sprinkle with oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- When mixture comes to a boil reduce heat to medium low.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender, around 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Stir in beans, cooking for an additional 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir in cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Really tasty, and it went over really well with DH, too! I made some rice to go with this, but DH preferred to eat it with some sliced avocado and warm corn tortillas. Definitely a keeper to add into my dinner rotation. Thanks for posting! Sorry, no pic -- it was late, dark, and the photos were definitely not postable, haha! Made by a fellow Merry Maid of Mayhem for Culinary Quest I
My sweetie and I LOVE this recipe. The only alterations when I make it: 5 or 6 garlic cloves and 2 cans of black beans. We typically eat this over white rice, but recently tried it with wide egg noodles and loved that, too. This recipe makes a lot, and it freezes well, so when I make it, I'm always happy to know I have at least 2 dinners and a couple of lunches!