I love berries. This recipe can also be made with apples.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄3 cup milk, at room temperature
- 2 cups fresh blackberries or 2 cups frozen blackberries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a 10 inch round or oval baking dish, melt 1/2 C butter; set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat sugar and water until sugar melts; set aside.
- Place flour in a mixing bowl; cut in remaining butter until fine crums form.
- Add milk to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until dough leaves side of bowl.
- Turn out flour mixture onto a floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times.
- Roll out dough to an 11 x 9 rectangle 1/4 in thick.
- Spread berries over dough; sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Roll up dough, jelly-roll style.
- Cut dough into 1/4 in thick slices.
- Carefully lay slices of dough in baking dish over butter.
- Pour sugar syrup around slices(syrup will be absorbed).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle sugar over top and bake 15 minutes more.
- Serve warm or cold.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I loved the flavor and I loved the actual making and cooking of these. I made in a cast iron pan. All the butter and sugar liquid in the pan soaks into the pastry as it cooks. I really thought these were fabulous and have requests to make again! Thanks for posting Lynn! Stacy G. Culinary Quest 2017, Wales.1Reply
see 9 more