photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
2 8 inch cakes
- 1 cup currants
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 1⁄4 1 1/4 cups apricots (Diced) or 1 1/4 cups apples (Diced)
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 1⁄2 cups port wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups rum
- 1⁄2 cup almonds or 1/2 cup almond flour
- zest of one orange
Burnt Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon brandy (I used Pear Brandy)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon burnt sugar syrup
- 4 -6 tablespoons brandy
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out and husk discarded
Brandy or Rum Soak
- 3⁄4 cup brandy
- 3⁄4 cup rum
- Combine dried fruit, almonds and zest in port and rum and let sit covered for at least one week. (I am told the longer you let the mixture sit the better.)
- Take our cinnamon stick after you've finished soaking the fruit mix. Now, using a food processor, pulse marinated fruit mixture until it resembles a fruit paste.
Burnt Sugar Syrup:
- In a medium sauce pan, melt sugar over medium high heat while stirring constantly. The sugar will seize, but just continue to stir.
- Once melted, continue to cook until dark brown syrup forms and just begins to foam and smoke. Remove from heat.
- Add hot water and continue to stir constantly. Be careful with this step! The sugar will splatter.
- When the water is incorporated, return the sugar/water mixture to medium heat and cook until the mixture thickens slightly. Allow to cool before adding to batter.
- Cream butter and sugar together, add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg.
- Add almond extract, brandy, vanilla until just combined.
- Add the fruit paste mixture. Beat well. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice.
- Add the flour mixture in small batches.
- Add the burnt sugar syrup and beat until combined.
- Divide batter evenly into two buttered and parchment papered 8" round cake pans or into small buttered bread loaf pans.
- Bake at 275 for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Mix together 3/4 cup Rum and 3/4 cup Brandy (creating your brandy/rum soak) and brush cakes.
- Wrap cakes with plastic wrap and store in a cool, dry place until you are ready to eat the cakes.
- The cakes can be served straight up or as a layer cake with an orange marmalade buttercream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!