- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 3 (12 ounce) cans beer
- 5 uncooked bratwursts (we like Johnsonville best)
- 1⁄8 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄8 cup stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 medium onion, cut into rings about 1/3 of an inch thick
- sauerkraut (optional)
- 1 large red bell pepper (cut in rings the same size as the onions)
- 5 hot dog buns or 5 hoagie rolls
- Get a large grill safe dish (we use the reynolds disposable roasters), place the onions, red bell peppers (if using) and brats in the bottom.
- Mix the two mustards, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar together and dump this mixture over the brats and onions etc.
- Stir until the onions and brats are evenly coated.
- Pour enough beer into the dish to cover the brats and onion, then give it a slight stir to mix the mustard mixture with the beer.
- Put in fridge and let sit at least 30 minutes, but an hour or two is much better. When marinating time is up, remove and let come to room temperature.
- Pre heat your grill to medium high heat.
- Place the container directly on the grate and cook the brats in the beer mixture for 10-15 minutes, until the beer is steamy and hot. Remove from heat. But do not discard yet.
- Turn the grill down to medium heat (or however you like your brats grilled).
- Remove the onions and brats from the beer mixture. Then place the brats on one side of the grill and the onions on the other.
- Grill brats and onions, turning occasionally until done. Each time you turn, baste with the remaining beer mixture. The onions should be somewhat caramelized and soft.
- Discard the remaining beer mixture and serve on buns or hoagies with sauerkraut and other condiments as desired.
Join The Conversation
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am Sarah.</p> <p>I am married to a wonderful man. He is a great Husband and Father.</p> <p>In March of 2011 we welcomed our daughter Evie into this world. She is everything and nothing I expected, and is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done with my life.</p> <p>I love to cook, and eat, and laugh, and drink and play.</p> <p>I have a wonderful life.</p> <p><em>There are things you do because they feel right, and they may make no sense and they make no money and it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other and to eat each other's cooking and say it was good. ~Brian Andreas, Story People~</em></p> <p><em> </em></p> <p><em>Get to know our family at www.itsavol.blogspot.com</em></p> <p><img src=http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss316/sarahbethevans/bfe23bac.jpg alt= width=477 height=639 /></p>