Beef & Broccoli Fried Rice Ring
Beef and broccoli was upgraded into a party-ready main. The best part? You don't have to worry about making rice the day of your gathering, this is best made with cooled rice!
- Ready In:
Fried Rice Ring
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrot, thawed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups cooked and cooled medium grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 scallions, sliced thin
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
Beef and Broccoli
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3⁄4 lb boneless round steak, cut into thin 1 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and cut into thin 1/2-moon strips
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 -2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- To make the fried rice ring, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium high heat. Cook the red onions and bell pepper until softened and starting to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Stir in the peas, carrots and garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rice, soy sauce and sesame oil and cook until rice is starting to become toasted.
- Make a well in the pan in the center or on the side and pour in the eggs. Scramble the eggs, then stir into the rice mixture. Stir in the scallions and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the rice into the prepared bundt pan and press with the back of a spoon to pack down and make even. Bake until the edges are crisp, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and set bundt aside to cool slightly.
- To make Beef and Broccoli, in a medium bowl, whisk to combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, water, soy sauce, sesame oil and light brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir to combine sliced steak with 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Cook steak, stirring occasionally, until browned and just cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from skillet and place in a bowl.
- Return wok or skillet to medium high heat and add remaining oil. Cook onions and broccoli until onions are softened and broccoli is tender crisp, about 5 minutes, then stir in beef. Pour in prepared water, soy sauce and cornstarch mixture. Bring to a simmer until thickened, about 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Unmold the fried rice ring onto a plate or platter and spoon the beef and broccoli into the center. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION